One could look at tonight's first game back from the break and presume that the Angels were a bit rusty, but I prefer to think that this perfectly winnable game went tragically awry due to the evil power that is Friday the 13th.
I mean, just look at everything that went wrong:
- Alberto Callaspo botched a hit-and-run to spoil an early opportunity in the first. But the weird part was he swung and the umpire still called it a ball... Friday the 13th!
- Mark Teixeira tortured the Halos and even came up big with the game on the line. Ask any Yankees fan and they will tell you that Tex and clutch hits are not something that are often associated with each other... Friday the 13th!
- Nick Swisher robbed the Angels of a at least one run with his Chris Berman catch (as in he was stumblin' and bumblin') against the wall on Trumbo... Friday the 13th!
- Scott Downs completely crapped the bed for the first time in forever... Friday the 13th!
- Mike Scioscia lost his mind and brought in Kevin Jepsen in the eighth inning of a tie game with runners on base... Friday the 13th!!!!!!!!!
- Howie Kendrick got thrown out trying to take second on a wild pitch all because Russell Martin was somehow able to drop his mask and barehand the ball as it bounced away and then turn and gun Kendrick out all in one swooping motion... FRIDAY THE FREAKING 13TH!
The Angels are now 12-32 all-time on Friday the 13th. Enough said.