Mickey Hatcher is gone. Long gone. Mercifully gone. Ask any Angel fan and they will gleefully inform you that this is nothing but a good thing as they had been calling for his head for nearly a decade.
But now that Hatcher has been fired there is a void in the heart of the Halo faithful. A different coach must now become the target of their discontent, even if it is misguided. Despite Hatcher being sent packing only a few months ago, the void appears to have already been filled by none other than pitching coach Mike Butcher.
As far as I can tell, the case for Butcher being made into the new pariah is based primarily off these bits of evidence:
- He is not revered former Angels pitching coach Bud Black.
- Instead of resurrecting Scott Kazmir's career as expected, Kazmir instead totally imploded.
- The bullpen is a national disaster zone.
- Ervin Santana has devolved into a mess... again.
- Players like Fernando Rodney have blossomed since leaving the Angels.
- Angel fans need someone to take out their frustrations on.