Time for Free For All Friday, a time to talk about all the Angels-related topics that slipped through the cracks this week, as well as any other totally unrelated topic you feel like bringing up.
Here are a few topics for you to discuss amongst yourselves:
- I haven't seen this discussed anywhere really, but I thought it was worth pointing out. You know Ryan Vogelsong? The NL All-Star/Cy Young contender/Comeback Player of the Year shoe-in? Yeah, that Ryan Vogelsong. He's been such a great story for his awesome comeback with the Giants, but did you know who he played for in the minors last season? THE ANGELS!!!! Yup, he pitched 36.2 innings for the Salt Lake Bees, but he got shelled for 47 hits and 23 runs while coughing up 22 walks. Hard to blame the Halos for kicking him to the curb, but it isn't going to stop me from fantasizing about what could've been.
- Why must people on Twitter try my patience so much? I love interacting with other fans via that medium and I find most of those folks by searching the #Angels hashtag. Unfortunately, the multiple areas where the term Angels applies is vast. I can deal with the religious types and their occassional prayers to angels, but what I can't abide is pop artist groupies. Last year I had to deal with Trey Songz and his fans blathering on all the time about voting for him in some video countdown BS, but that has since died down, mercifully. Unfortunately, some new set of groupies have tried to co-opt "Angels" as their collective name. This time the usurpers are all supporters of some Australian twink, Justin Bieber clone named Cody Simpson. I'm sitting here trying to sort through the tweets to find juicy news on potential Angels trades but I end up spending half my time filtering through gaggles of tweens tweeting "OMG, Cody Simpson is so totally dreamy! #Angels". It only makes my head hurt worse when I realize that in ten years, it will be my daughter composing those tweets. Shoot me now.
- Remember last month when the Angels got jobbed against the Dodgers when the home plate umpire claimed Mathis missed the tag on Dee Gordon? Yeah, I apologize for complaining so vociferously about that after seeing what Jerry Meals did to the Pirates earlier this week. Consider my complaint withdrawn.
- I hear nothing but good things about Captain America and I am dying to see it... well, I would be but for one small problem: Chris Evans. Nothing against him, I actually think he is a good actor and a great fit for the role, but the issue is that he is already a superhero and one from the Marvel universe at that. He can't be the Human Torch and Captain America, it just isn't right. It's superhero polygamy, which I am pretty sure is the long lost 11th Commandment and I just won't stand for it.
- Just going to put this one out there and I would appreciate some feedback. I'm considering doing a weekly podcast for the site. I've actually been thinking about it for awhile, but have yet to pull the trigger partly because I am not exactly sure of what kind of format I would go with since I would likely be doing it solo (the other part of that partly is laziness). Most every podcast I hear out there is a group, so, I'm a bit stumped as to how a one-man podcast would work. If you've got any ideas (including whether or not you think Monkey With a Podcast is a good idea or not) are warmly invited.
Or just feel free to bring up a topic of your own. I don't really care (as long as you keep it clean) because it's Friday.