Angel fans are still basking in the afterglow of the exciting news that Jered Weaver has signed a five-year extension to remain with the Halos. The news was a pleasant as it was unexpected, which is why this week's poll wants to know just how exactly all of you reacted when you heard this surprising news. Was it euphoria or sheer joy? Did you jump up and down or just scream out with delight?
Time to vote!
How did you react to the news of Weaver's extension?
- Pinch me, I must be dreaming!
- Hooray, Boras' reign of terror is over!
- Quick, someone check the weather report in hell!
- I can't believe it, the Monkey was right all along and Weaver did stay with the Angels. That guy is really smart and I should tell everyone I know to read his blog.
- Fire Reagins! This was all Weaver, Reagins still needs to go.
To place your vote, simply find the Poll of the Week in the gray sidebar to the right.
Where's 'none of them'? I like his contract, it's somewhat team-friendly, but it's more like a hometown discount than a huge bargain. He's due to earn about 13M through arb. It makes the remainder of his deal a 72M/4Y, or 18M per. I mean, Weaver could have commanded around 100M/5Y in the market, but that's nothing more than 2M per, and an extra year.
I mean, he doesn't have quite the same appeal (velocity) as Verlander or Sabathia. Some may even compare him to Roy Halladay (though Halladay is not from this planet), But I doubt he would earn a contract over 20M per year. And had he had tried the open market, he'd be in a worse position than he is now, since he'd try at least a 5 year contract, meaning he'd be 35 rather than 33 at the end of the contract. That's a heck of a difference for the market, you know.