- Kendrick's 0-for-15 slide comes to an end. Howie hardly beat the crap out of the ball, but as one of the few Angels to even get the ball out of the infield tonight, that has to give him a little bit of a boost, right? Too bad he was so busy feeling good about finally getting a hit that he went brain dead on the base paths on the very next play. Still, it is progress.
- Don't look now, but Jason Bulger has the second-best ERA in the bullpen (if you exclude Rich Thompson who has thrown only five innings).
- Scioscia showed a remarkable lack of confidence in his own offense when he drew the infield in to prevent a Jose Bautista from scoring in the third inning. The tact worked when Marco Scutaro smashed a grounder right to Maicer Izturis, but it also functionally served as Sosh waving the white flag on behalf of the hitters before they even got through the line-up once. Brilliant leadership, Sosh.
- Explain to me again why Mike Scioscia insists on giving Gary Matthews any playing time. He struck out in all three at-bats, twice looking and made a fielding error. I know he has the horrible contract, but Arte Moreno is too smart a businessman to not understand the concept of a sunk cost. Letting him steal at-bats from Juan Rivera just because of the financial obligation is both a bad baseball move and a bad business move.
- For the record, Maicer Izturis, who struck out looking to end the game with Morales in scoring position, is now batting .226 and has a .588 OPS with runners in scoring position this season. Let's all try and remember this the next time someone gets a wild hair up their ass and wants to bat Izturis sixth in the order.
- Mickey Hatcher